On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 09:07:03AM -0800, Jonathan Marks wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-02-17 at 15:53, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > On 17 Feb 2002, Jonathan Marks wrote:
> > > I have an app that displays images and videos in fullscreen.  Often when
> > > killing the one program and starting the next there is a flicker and a
> > > glimpse of the desktop before the next image/video starts.
> > >
> > > I wonder if there is a way to blank the screen, for the period that I
> > > kill the one program and start the other, and then unblank the screen.
> >
> >   See the man page on XSetScreenSaver and friends.  One of those might
> > do what you want.
>
> Thanks for the prompt response.  This application is a bunch of shell
> and perl scripts.  I was wondering if there is a way to do this without
> resorting to writing C code.  Is there a way to blank and unblank the
> whole screen in X from the command line?

Is it really going to be better for you for the screen to go black
between images than for it to flash to the desktop?

If this is really what you want, you can do an "xset s activate" before
killing off the first image-viewer, then "xset s reset" to turn the
screen back on.

Assuming this is a slideshow of some kind, you might want to do
"xset s off; xset -dpms" beforehand, to prevent the screen going black
on you.

-andy