On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Dave Williss wrote:

> How do I determine if my X connection is local (on the same machine) or
> remote (on a different machine)?  I'd like to use the shared memory
> extension, but it would be pointless if the connection is not local.

   I don't think any functions to do that are exported, though
there are functions internal to Xlib that do that (like __X11TransIsLocal).
You could probably use that with some nasty kludges, but generally
I think people just try to see if they can attach or not and
suppy a error handler to trap the failure.  Attaching could fail on
a system that didn't have shm support even if you were local so
checking for local isn't foolproof.

                        Mark