On 4 Mar 2002, Hassan Aurag wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop. Under Windows, I can when having the laptop on "port
> replicator"/"docking station" enable LCD/CRT and "extend" my desktop to
> use both screens.
>
>  After looking for a while, I thought this might be called "xinerama" on
> Linux. Anyway, under Linux I can, using Fn+F5 key, enable both screens,
> but they are copies of each other (happens under windows too if extended
> desktop not enabled).
>
>  No my question is: is it possible to extend my desktop to use both
> screens and how?

You might want xinerama if you can do this, but it only helps once
you have two different screens; see other posts today for more about
xinerama.

Can you get two different screens ? Depends on your graphics card.
As root, try running
        X -configure
If the resulting config (/root/XF86Config.new) file mentions dual
head and shows a layout with more than one screen, you are in luck.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna