One of the other things you might check out are permissions of the
/dev/<agpstuff> (such as /dev/dri/* or it's non devfs equivelent and
/dev/agpgart).   My devfs install seems to lose it's permission on reboot,
even though the config file is set to save permissions.  Try in root as well
if you haven't already.

To be honest, I think I've installed XF86 on roughly 7 diffrent 3D cards
about 30 times total, and it's only worked right instantly (mostly due to my
errors) maybe once or twice.  Keep trying! :)