Hamish> I have a thinkpad A20p with a 16MB ATI Rage 128 Mobility L
Hamish> chip, running Linux (Mandrake, but with kernel 2.4.17) and
Hamish> XFree 4.2.0

Hamish> 1. If DRI is enabled, then on resuming from suspend or
Hamish> hibernation, the X server will die... Or lock up...

AIUI the drm kernel module used by the dri extension is the problem
with suspend/resume cycles.  On a radeon 7500 m all is ok if you
switch to a non-X vt before suspending until you switch back to X's vt
after resuming.  It is better with the latest 2.4 kernels I've tested:
the mouse still moves the pointer.  Whether any events get reported to
the clients I cannot say.  The kbd is also wedged.  With earlier
kernels display never even refreshed after switching back to X.

The kludge appears to be to rmmod(8) the drm module (r128.o in your
case) before suspending and modprobe(8) it back in after resuming.
It looks like the way to do that is to edit apmd_proxy (on suse it is
in /usr/sbin; it may be elsewhere on Mandrake try 'rpm -ql apmd').
This would require getting X to let go of it.  I don't know how to do
that, short of not loading the DRI module at the start....

The real fix is to fix the DRM modules.

-JimC