"bharat  tewari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> just curious? why have we seperated the xft code and put it under the pango
> directory itself? one of the reasons where i think it will be useful is when
> people are using xfree86 3.x series but as such pango checks for the
> XftConfig file which will be present only with xfree86 4.1.x and later
> versions ( am i right on this?) so why cant we use the Xft library which
> come bundled along with xfree86 rather than compiling pango seperately.
> since this discussion happened over here i am posting it here, i guess i
> should take this discussion on the gtk development list.

Pango-1.0 uses Xft code in two different places:

 - The Xft backend compiles against the system copy of Xft if
   the system has Xft, and is not built otherwise.

 - the FT2 backend (which is used for rendering independent of X on
   all systems) uses a portion of Xft separated out as "MiniXft"
   for handling font configuration.

This setup is designed so that if you have Xft on your system, the two
backends share a single configuration file. If you don't have Xft
installed then you would have to create an XftConfig file specifically
for the FT2 backend, but this is no worse than if the FT2 backends
configuration file was called pangoft2.aliases and custom contents.

For Pango-1.2, I need to decide between:

 - Keeping MiniXft/Xft1 support and adding in addition support for
   new fontconfig library (the official version of MiniXft) and
   for Xft2.

 - Require fontconfig and Xft2 for all installations of Pango that
   want to use the backends. (fontconfig is independent of X, Xft2
   supports servers without the RENDER extension.) This would clean up
   the code a _lot_ and make it a easier to share memory between the
   two backends, but on the other hand adds yet one dependency to an
   an already complex build process.

Regards,
                                        Owen