also sprach martin f krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002.03.29.1943 +0100]:
> it seems that this will only happen when the machine is left idling,
> because it has not yet happened to me whilst working locally on the
> X desktop. then again, i haven't really spent a lot of time on that
> machine other than through SSH yet...

more research has shown that the X crash *always* happens exactly 20
minutes after X desktop idle time starts. however, disabling APM with
the apm=off kernel option, simply not running apmd, and/or disabling all
power management features in the BIOS did *not* fix the problem. i am
at a loss because i don't know what else is causing an event related
to 20 minutes of X desktop idle time. and it's only X, the rest of the
system has no problems.

here are the relevant files again:

  ftp://ftp.madduck.net/pub/temp/x-signal4/xdm.log.gz
  ftp://ftp.madduck.net/pub/temp/x-signal4/XFree86.0.log.gz
  ftp://ftp.madduck.net/pub/temp/x-signal4/XF86Config-4.gz

again, this is X 4.1.0-14 from Debian/GNU Linux Woody, and there are
no packages available for 4.2.0 yet, so i can't really install 4.2.0
because it's too much administrative overhead...

any help very very gladly appreciated!!!

micro$oft is to operating systems & security
what mcdonalds is to gourmet cuisine.