On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 07:45:42 -0500
"F. Heitkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!

Hello there, and, thanks to you and all the others for your replies. :)

> I recently bought a Radeon 8500 for my Linux box.  I love it.  It is a
> fantastic card. It even works great, even though the Linux drivers > are
not finished. I had a Matrox G400 that had finished drivers, and > the
OpenGL stuff on the Radeon is faster than the G400, even though > the
Radeon is only running 2D.

Hmm, neat. :) Actually, I decided to again do it like I did before, those
days when I first got in touch with GNU/Linux ("dare-and-try"), and, in
the end, I am pleased to see that, probably being better, the Radeon VE is
at least as good as the TNT2M64 board. By now this is a little fuzzy, I'll
try to bring some more "quantitative" comments on that. Does anyone know a
good graphics benchmark for X? :)

Btw the installation and start of this card worked pretty smoothly, as
well. Only had to fix some troubles (obviously) caused by the libGL stuff
from those NVidia drivers in my system, but since after a hard drive
upgrade I took the chance and re-installed Slack8 w/ XFree86 from
Slack-current and a post-2.4.17 - kernel, and things work well this way.
:)

> I did a comparison of the TV tuner model of the 8500 with the standard
> 8500, and chose the standard model.  The TV model had a slower RAMDAC
> and was otherwise inferior in general computation features than the
> standard model.  Check Toms Hardware website for comparisons.

Thanks, I'll do that. For what I have seen, the VE is a "Radeon lite"
card, and at lhd.zdnet.com there were some postings about it that were not
very promising at all. Happy to see that it finally at least works in my
machine in a pleasing way.

> Since I mostly do only computing, and some DVD watching with my >
computer, I saw no real need to get the TV model. It would have been a >
nice toy to play with though.

Indeed, I am already having some older framegrabber board (FlyVideo)
inside my box so there's probably no need for one more of such devices. :)

> Also look at the driver maturity factors.  ATI is much more open than
> Nvidia for Linux support, though the Nvidia personnel on the Xpert
> list are very nice and helpful.  I guess the Nvidia proprietary
> Linux drivers are good too.  I have an Nvidia card in my Mac, but

Well... I have to say that those drivers, being crap in the beginning,
turned out to be pretty good with the last few releases. Most of the
instabilities I was experiencing with those drivers went away with the
post-1.0 - releases (/* note to the NVidia guys around here: keep up the
good work! */). Unfortunately, the (IMHO) major bug about those drivers
(the license) still has not been fixed, that's why now, for my GNU/Linux -
and FreeBSD - box, I decided not to choose another NVidia-based graphics
board even while they might be better.

> > Only you can decide which one is better for you.
>
> Yep. It's your choice.
>
> Fred

Cheers,
Kris