Dick Lewis writes:
 > NOTE: THIS IS MY SECOND ATTEMPT TO POST THIS MESSAGE (THE PREVIOUS
 >       BEING APR. 5)
 >       AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG HERE? OR JUST BEING IMPATIENT?

Note: writing in all capital letters means yelling.
Yelling is considered impolite.

 > I've been successfully using an older XFree86 version (3.3.6) with
 > an SiS 6326 video card (on Mandrake 8.0). Recently I downloaded
 > and installed XFree86 4.2.0. Running XFree86 -configure produced
 > verbose error messages; startx worked (after a fashion) but I
 > couldn't get KDE to run.

If you care for an answer you ought to be more precise.
Maybe noone has understood your explanation, therefore you
did not receive an answer.
If you got startx to work X may not be the one to blame.

 > Does XFree 4.2.0 require a *new* driver specifically for this card?
 > If so,
 >   How can I obtain that driver?
 >   If it's in one of the tarballs I downloaded, how do I install it?

The driver is part of the XFree86 4.2.0 package.

 > Beyond that, what light can anyone shed on getting KDE (or icewm) to run
 > with XFree 4.2.0?

This is the wrong list. You ought to ask the KDE folks or Mandrake
support.

Egbert.