On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> I get complaints about X's memory consumption all the time from KDE
> users who have dozens of virtual workspaces, large monitors, and a
> different image in the root window for each workspace.
>
> Is there a canonical answer to this question that I can give my users?
> I maintain a FAQ for Debian and I'm happy to add this information to it.

   The X-Window system is a client-server window system.  The
memory for pixmap data resides on the server side instead of
the client side.  If you have 8 1600x1200 32bpp root window images
that's 61 Megabytes.  It resides in the server instead of the
client, unless they are shared memory pixmaps, in which case
it will be counted on both the server and client side.

   Obviously this data has to be stored someplace.  It's not
like it can just disappear when you're not using it.  I don't
know why it's so hard for those people to comprehend that.
If they were stored on the client side instead, people would
be complaining about KDE memory usage.

                        Mark.