On Sunday 05 May 2002 01:52, Kyle Super wrote:

> I installed the modules from
> http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/linux-drm-4.2.0-kernelsource.tar.gz but I
> still receive the unresolved symbol errors and r128 fails to load.

Kyle, after having had 'uresolved symbol' problems too, I'm now running this
very kernel module on a RedHat 7.1 based system. What finally led me to
success was a complete kernel recompile, using the above kernelsources from
xfree86.org. I can see from your last posting that you did a recompile of the
RH kernel v. 2.4.9-31. I'm no longer using a RH kernel but 2.4.18 from
kernel.org instead.
My steps in detail (YMMV):

- remove /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm
- untar linux-drm-4.2.0-kernelsource.tar.gz into /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/,
thus having a new /drm folder
- rename /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm/Makefile.kernel to (...)Makefile
- config the kernel with the following settings:
[snip]
CONFIG_AGP=m
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_I810 is not set
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_OLD is not set

#
# DRM 4.1 drivers
#
CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_GAMMA is not set
CONFIG_DRM_R128=m
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set
[snip]
(...perhaps you should enable different or all chipsets, mine is a VIA)
- recompile in the usual way.
It seems to be crucial to disable support for the 'old' DRM, and to enable
'new' DRM.

I have read somewhere that you should load the agpgart kernel module before
r128.o gets loaded, so I added the following line to modules.conf :
        pre-install r128 modprobe agpgart
but I don't know if this is essential; dri would get enabled without agpgart.

HTH, Klaus