On Wed, 15 May 2002, Bertoldi Andrea wrote:

>I've just recompiled the kernel of my Linux system, and X does not work
>anymore. But some details more:
>
>1. my system runs a RedHat7.1 with kernel release 2.4.2 and XFree86
>version 4.0.3 without problems.

Those are both ancient releases.  You should update your kernel
and XFree86 to the currently released erratum packages for Red
Hat Linux 7.1

>2. I compiled the 2.4.9 kernel with RTAI-2.4.6a patch
>
>Now the system works, except for graphic interface. In what follows I
>added the full ouput of the X server, when invoked by "startx" from
>runlevel 3.

Keep in mind, recompiling your kernel, especially with external
patches can cause problems.  Make sure if you experience
problems that they are not due to your customizations.

>One thing more: I looked on intel site, as regarding with my chipset. I
>tried without success what they suggest to do with the two rpm files that
>can be downloaded ( i810gtt-0.2-4.src.rpm and xfcom_i810-1.2-3.i386.rpm).

That stuff is totally ancient and should not be used.

>(WW) AGPIOC_ACQUIRE failed (Device or resource busy)
>(EE) GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (Invalid argument)

Looks like you don't have AGPgart support compiled.

>Symbol VBEInit from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is unresolved!
>Symbol vbeDoEDID from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is unresolved!

Ancient bug, long since fixed in newer releases.

>(0): [drm] drmSetBusid failed (5, PCI:0:2:0)
>(EE) I810(0): DRIScreenInit failed

DRI can't start if AGPgart isn't loaded.  If I'm not mistaken,
the Intel chipsets require AGP support wether or not you actually
use DRI.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  You can try to
disable DRI as well and test to see if it works or not.

Hope this helps.
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,