Hi Xperts !

I have thought about a scheme allowing multiple users to
have an X session simultaneously.

Currently the only way to do this is to open a new X on
another vt. When using this configuration style it is
however difficult for users to use it : if a user wants to
lock his session and go away, but wants to let others use
the workstation while he is away, others have to look for a
vt (with Ctrl-Fx) where they can log in. Another point is
that there must always be open X's on vt8, 9, etc..

My idea is the following : Only one X is open on vt7, and
when a user logs in, *dm doesn't hand the Xserver to the
user (i may be wrong in understanding this mechanism).
However, it launches a new Xnest, makes it fullscreen and
gives it to the user.

When a user wants to lock his session, the only thing *dm
has to do is to hide the Xnest window (the login box is
always open behind them) and prompt another user to log in.

What do you think about that ? (if this is the wrong place
to post this suggestion, please point me to the right place)

Thanks, JC.
Boîte aux lettres - Caramail - http://www.caramail.com