The example quoted below appears to skip the "put a filesystem on the floppy"
step.

Use 'mkfs', 'newfs' or whatever your OS provides, depending on which
filesystem type (e.g. *nix, DOS etc) you actually want to have on it. And then
you have to mount it.

Or, if simply taking the floppy to another *nix system, skip all the
filesystem steps altogether, and just write a tar/pax/cpio archive directly to
the raw floppy:

        cd /var/log ; tar cvf /dev/fd0 XFree86.0.log

and read it off on the other end like so:

        cd <somedir_where_you_want_it> ; tar xvf <floppy_device_name>

Note that the above avoids writing tar archives with explicit paths. These can
be problematic to deal with on some older OS's (e.g. ones without a decent
'tar').

HTH.

Regards,

AS