On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 04:22:01PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 15 o'clock on May 17, Jon Leech wrote:
>
> >     Would it be better to patch the fontconfig Imakefiles to respect
> > EtcX11Directory (I think this really translates to Makefile variable
> > DESTDIR, doesn't it?), or to override FontconfigDir in site.def?
>
> The fontconfig files don't belong in /etc/X11 as they are not related to
> X; I'm slowly convincing various people to use fontconfig in place of
> other application-specific font configuration mechanisms, even for systems
> which are used on machines without X installed.
>
> Perhaps we should add another layer of variables so that EtcX11Directory
> is derived from EtcDirectory which can point at /etc and be shared by the
> fontconfig Imakefile.

    Sounds good - but in the meantime, it might be good to remove it
from the build, so that it doesn't prevent installs in nonstandard
locations from completing. If fontconfig is truly not related to X,
should it even be in the X tree?

    I tried overriding FontconfigDir in site.def, but that wasn't
sufficient, and the install still fails trying to write into font
directories it locates under /usr/share.

    Jon