On Tue, 21 May 2002, Jacob Kuenzel wrote:

> I'm currently in the process of building a sixteen-monitor video wall,
> and am in search of some *free* software that will make it work (I found
> a $1000 program called X-META-X that does what I want flawlessly, but I
> am doing this project at my high school and don't have any money for
> it). So far I haven't found any such software, and I am begining to
> think I may have to write some code myself. Before I ask any questions,
> I think it would be a good idea to give an overview of my setup.
>
> The wall will consist of five PCs and sixteen identical monitors and
> video cards. It should work as follows: four of the PCs will have four
> video cards each and will run an X server on each video card, possibly
> using Xinerama to combine them. The fifth PC will be networked with the
> four other PCs, will use some mechanism to combine the sixteen remote
> displays (four if Xinerama is used) into one large display, and will act
> as a head-end for this display.

Matrox sell a pci card with 4 heads
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/g200_mms/home.cfm
Stick four of those in one machine and it might solve
your problem, as long as the one machine is fast enough.
They definitely say you can get 16 heads on one system,
although I've never heard anyone do that with Xfree86.

These use the G200, not the most recent Matrox chip, but each head
has its own chip which makes it easier to drive than the later
dualhead chips.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna