In the evolution from 4.0.2 to 4.2.0, xfree86 has changed the way it
allocated free color cells in 8bit mode.  Using applications in pseudoColor
mode that require a set number of free color cells are now broken.

In 4.0.2, a standard setup with a low impact window manager would result in
very few cells allocated by X or the window manager of your choice - leaving
at least 148 or so cells available for other applications.

Since 4.2.0, the most cells that are available - free, so to speak - are 12 .
. . a far cry from the 148 with 4.0.2.

xdpyinfo between 4.0.2 and 4.2.0 is nearly identical - earlier queries sent
me off trying to turn off the RENDER option, but this is shown to be in place
with xdpyinfo under 4.0.2, when everything is working.

This is my second request on this subject - I hope that someone knows out
there knows what has changed between 4.0.2 and 4.2.0 to break pseudoColor
mode color cell allocation - and point us to fix it.
--
Stonie R. Cooper
Planetary Data, Incorporated