> > > In other words, all the work involving the Video card is already done.
> >
> > Now you are wrong. :)
> >
> > The X server disables video devices it doesn't use.
>
> DOH! That seems like a really dumb Idea. Is it easy to make it not disable
> the other cards? Would that gum up other stuff?

I may be wrong, but I think it's not really so dumb when there is
only one X server: the cards share the I/O address space, so unless
you disable all but the one that you're communicating with at the
moment, you're in trouble. But that also means that simply removing
this device disabling doesn't solve the problem (generally). That's
what the already mentioned patch (you know, the one from Brazil)
does, besides adding USB keyboard support, etc. It does work for some
cards and not for others; also, even for the nVidia's that work (with
nVidia's closed source drivers), video mode changes hang the machine.

So, as I already said, I think some kind of serialization of video
device accesses is needed between the multiple X servers.

Vaclav Dvorak   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IDAS, s.r.o.    http://www.idas.cz