Eric N. Valor wrote:
> I've tried stepping through the archives, but the lack of a search
> engine means that I have to manually parse 80+ megs of information
> (this takes a human quite a long time).

Have you tried using something like google to search through the
archives ? I've found that works quite well.

> For more information, the card is using the S3 Virge/GX2 chip.

> I have a Number Nine Reality 334 (4mb, AGP) which I'm trying to run with
> Debian (Woody).  I've set the resolution to 1024x768 at 16bpp.  Everything
> seems to work fine except when I try to pop open an Xterminal.  At that
> point, XF86_SVGA goes to 98% CPU utilization (I'm on a dual-850 PIII) and
> the whole system locks up.  After almost a minute it comes back, but doing
> anything like "ls /etc" causes the same behavior.
>
> Other windows, such as a web browser, are not affected in this way.
>
> When I set the color depth to 8bpp everything seems OK, but the color
> definition is pretty crappy.  This card, when used in a Windoze box, can do
> 1024x768 at 16 all day long.  Am I really stuck at 256 colors?
>
> Nothing is thrown in the logs to indicate an error.

Delays like that can happen when the disk or memory is full, I take it
that isn't the case here. Admittedly that doesn't sound likely if it
works in 8bit.

XF86_SVGA is from XFree86 version 3.
Have you tried using the s3virge driver in XFree86 version 4 ?

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna