On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Skip Gaede wrote:

>Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:43:32 -0400
>From: Skip Gaede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Server crash with NFS root
>
>Hi,
>
>What troubleshooting techniques are available for debugging server crashes on
>startup?
>
>I am using XFree 4.2.0 with the fbdev driver. I can start it without error
>when the filesystem is local, or if I put the same filesystem on a server,
>mount it RW and chroot to it. If I mount it RO (using tmpfs and symlinks ...)
>the driver displays about the top half of the screen and then crashes with no
>error indication other than
>
>Fatal server error:
>Caught signal 11. Server aborting.
>
>With the same NFS setup, I can startup the 3.3.6 XF68_FBDev driver.

If you're using Red Hat Linux, or some other distro which is rpm
based, you can take our XFree86 source RPM (src.rpm) and install
it, then edit the XFree86.spec file and change the
DebuggableBuild line to:

%define DebuggableBuild 1

Then append "dbg" to the "Release:" line, and do "rpm -bb
XFree86.spec" and the resultant XFree86 packages, server,
modules, libs, programs, will be fully debuggable.  To debug the
server or it's modules, you will need to replace your currently
installed GNU debugger (gdb) with the gdb available on my
ftpsite:

ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/gdb-xfree86

For those using other distributions, the full source tarballs,
and patches etc. should be on there as well.  By looking at the
XFree86.spec file you should be able to determine how to do a
debuggable build in a non-rpm environment also.

Hope this is helpful.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,