Joe Krahn writes:
 > Aside from LocalClient returning false, DGA requests should fail, right?

LocalClient() returns TRUE therefore DGA doesn't fail.

 > Trying GL over the tunnel correctly gives an error message and reverts
 > to indirect rendering.

That's different. With direct rendering the client library connects directly
to the hw. It does not rely on the sever to fail.

 > I don't know much about DGA, but my understanding is that it has
 > a lot of issues because it is sort of a big hack (but useful), and
 > the real solution is to replace it with real protocols like XVideo
 > and a similar capture extension.

This is not limited to DGA. Other extensions that depend on being run
locally have the same problem if they rely on the sever's
LocalClient() implementation.

        Egbert.