On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Yuri van Oers wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Yuri van Oers wrote:
> >
> > > There has to be some way of blitting a simple RGB image to a window,
> > > without the use of something like Qt or Gtk, hasn't there?
> > > (Main reason for not using Qt et al. is speed.)
> >
> >    XShmPutImage.  Or XPutImage if not local or shared memory is not
> > available.  XShmPutImage can be considerably faster for local
> > connections.
>
> XShmPutImage and XPutImage should behave about the same, no?
> I've been messing with XPutImage, but for some reason I just can't get it
> to do what I want. My RGB image is turned into nonsense when
> XPutImage'ing.

  XShmPutImage and XPutImage results are the same.  The Shm version
is faster.

> What should I use; ZPixmap? In that case, what's the RGB format; ARGB or
> something else (I need RGB)?

   ZPixmap.  XImages aren't RGB per se, they are pixel data that
gets interpreted according to the visual.  So if you're using them
with a Window that has a TrueColor visual you'll want them to
match the RGB masks for that visual.  See the man page on XVisualInfo
for determining the RGB masks associated with a visual.

                                Mark.