RM> Some comments:
RM> - Is it neccesary that the "encodings.dir" created by mkfontdir uses
RM> the full path to the encodings ?

No, it can be a relative path.  Mkfontdir uses an absolute path so
that you can move the fonts directory (and leave the encodings in
place) without rebuilding the files.

RM> and it would allow to copy or move the config to a different
RM> location without problems ...

Use mkfontdir -p if you're installing in random places and moving the
files later on.

RM> I suggest two things here: 1. The Xserver should print a error message
RM> (like Solaris Xsun).

Done in the FreeType 2 backend (to be committed RSN -- hint, hint).

RM> 2. Matching fonts should only be open-"able" if the encoding file
RM> referenced by "encodings.dir" can be processed without problems
RM> (e.g. the font subsystem should refuse to open the font if there
RM> is an entry in "encodings.dir" but it cannot be processed for some
RM> reason)

Not done -- the Word, as revealed through the mouth of David Dawes, is
that fatal errors should be avoided.  (Incidentally, this is a part of
the Word that I happen to disagree with.)

RM> - Many fonts from Solaris 2.8 are still not recognised as 16bit fonts
RM> (such as the chinese 18030, thai and others; I can try to make a list on
RM> demand...) ... ;-(

Make sure your encodings are known to fontenc; grep the encodings.dir
files for the relevant encodings.  If they aren't, add ALIAS lines to
your .enc files, and send us a patch.

                                        Juliusz