"Mikael Olenfalk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi Xperts!
>

> I bought a Compaq EVO n115 some time ago, and I just felt like
> exchanging this ***** Windows XP Home with a little bit more powerful
> GNU/Linux and - of course - XFree86 ;).
>
> Just everything went fine until I came to configuring XFree86.
>
> It was even impossible for me to startup the graphical configuration
> system.
>
> Every time I launched X it told me I have a S3 card but XF86 can't
> recognize the CARD ID (i.e. unsupported card).
>
> When I later installed XP Home again :( I can see in Windows that the
> card is referred to as "S3 Graphics Twister K Compaq".
>
> A few days ago I have to call the Compaq support, as my laptop used to
> overheat and turn off after some hours of work (less than 5). I referred
> my problem to him - without expecting any proper answer ;) - about the
> missing driver for XF86 for the S3 Card/Chip. This guy was funnily
> enough amused by my problem as the specs showed him, that they do not
> deliver S3 cards with their evo n115 laptops. The specs says I (uu-huuh)
> have a "VIA ProSavage KN133".
>

> Does anybody know what shall I do to get my S3 Graphics Twister K Compaq
> card to work in XF86?

VIA bought S3 some time ago, explaining the name discrepancy.

Relevant information for figuring out why it isn't identified
would be:

 - The version of XFree86 (and the version of your distribution)
 - The PCI ID of the card. (/sbin/lspci -v will give you that.)

The current Savage driver lists a large number of PCI ID's for
various cards, but it would not be inconceivable that what
you have is a special version for Compaq with yet a different
PCI ID... such things are known to happen.

(You might also want to try checking if the "savage" driver
is explicitely listed in your XF86Config-4 as a simple
first step; if not, listing it could conceivably help.)

Regards,
                                        Owen