Did you get an answer to this?  I found the instructions at

  http://www.jongans.com/gateway1450.html

got my X server running, but the bottom half of the screen leaves crap
laying around.  I only had about an hour to work on it so probably I
missed something; none the less I got 1024x768 24-bit color mode on my
Dell Inspiron, which is certainly a step in the right direction!

Mike

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Fabrice Desré was heard whispering through the Net:

fabric>  Hello,
fabric>
fabric>  I'm trying to set up XFree86 on my sony laptop using a CVS version of
fabric>XFree 4.2. This version contains the i810 patch to enable more video
fabric>than the 1mb provided by the BIOS.
fabric>  However, i still can't get it to work. It seems that a dual-headed
fabric>support is detected, but that the driver doesn't support it. However i
fabric>can live without the dual head support (this would be extremely nice to
fabric>have it working, but not a priority) so I wonder if the issue is in my
fabric>config file or with the driver support for my hardware.
fabric>  You'll find my XF86Config-4 file and the XFree error log as attachments.
fabric>
fabric>  Thanks for any help,
fabric>
fabric> Fabrice
fabric>--
fabric>Fabrice Desré - FT.BD/FTR&D/DTL/TAL
fabric>Tél: (33) 2 96 05 31 43
fabric>Fax: (33) 2 96 05 39 45
fabric>