On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Peter Johnson wrote:

>XF86_SVGA is the old (v 3.3.6) X server for a wide range of svga-capable
>chips, including some of the Chips and Technologies video controllers.
>Redhat does some odd stuff with X; check /etc/X11 directory to see whether
>you're configured for v 3.3.6 (XF86Config only) or v 4.1 (XF86Config-4 is
>present).

You'll find that most distributions out there ship both 3.3.6 and
4.x X servers and allow the end user to switch between them in
order to get the best support.  This isn't a "Red Hat" thing, it
is something that was done so that people who had hardware
unsupported by XFree86 4.x, could still use the system during the
beginning of the changeover to 4.x.  All Linux distributions have
shipped both, and follow a similar way of allowing them to
co-exist.

Nonetheless, I'm interested on hearing from you what exactly is
"odd" about the way we do things, and how that differs from what
other distributions have done to allow coexistance.

You may also be interested to find out that the whole
XF86Config/XF86Config-4 config files are something which was
created by XFree86.org to allow the coexistance of both versions
of XFree86 until the older hardware could have drivers ported to
the new architecture, or become irrelevant.

Many people have thought this was some "Red Hat invention".  They
are wrong, and hopefully now informed of reality.  Red Hat, like
other distributions, have used this functionality graciously
provided by the XFree86 team to allow coexistance and maximize
the number of users that could use XFree86 in the distribution.
Those who have read the documentation provided by XFree86 however
would already know this.

man XF86Config

Note the location of the config files.  Note that Red Hat did not
modify this.

>If you must use Redhat, use Xconfigurator to keep this silliness
>straight and make sure things are done as Redhat expects.

Again, you only illustrate your lack of knowledge of XFree86, and
that this is not a Red Hat whim.  It is a documented feature of
XFree86 which exists for a reason.  Read that documentation, and
learn before rambling FUD.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,