Compaq Presario 5640 (Pentium II 400MHz) without original monitor, 128 meg mem, ATI
Technologies Inc 3D Rage LT Pro AGP-133 (rev 220) with 8 meg mem, Linux From Scratch
and a recent 2.4 kernel.

Problem, short version:

_XFree86 Version 4.2.0_
SiS 6326 (PCI 4 meg mem) + Facit IntelliScan = OK
ATI 3D Rage LT Pro + Facit IntelliScan = Dead monitor
ATI 3D Rage LT Pro + Dell UltraScan = OK

Facit IntelliScan Model M1720T (17 in), Swedish monitor made in Taiwan Sep -96
Dell UltraScan 15ES Model P1528EB (15 in), US monitor made in Malaysia Dec -94

Problem, long version:

This is the most puzzling error condition I've ever seen, and it manifests itself
through the hardware only, ie no errors in /var/log/XFree86.0.log or elsewhere on the
system. Alterations in /etc/X11/XF86Config have no effect on the final blackout
(though I haven't tried turning off hw acceleration etc, since the second monitor
worked ok). Different window managers means nothing - don't run KDE or Gnome. I've
tried a variant of the Gatos driver, to no avail. Compaq's limited BIOS settings have
the power management turned off, and I haven't compiled kernel APM. Module agpgart
loaded or unloaded - no difference.

1) X or startx initializes and goes into graphics mode, but after ca 5 seconds the
monitor goes off (power led still lit). This isn't a "power saving" state, instead it
looks like a "surviving mode" of kinds. Cooling crackle noises confirms that the power
indeed is cut.

2) Keyboard taps or mouse movements doesn't restore power, but a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
does (returning to a normal text terminal).

3) If I hit the monitor power switch when in graphics mode (led goes off) and then on,
power comes back for about 5 seconds. Then... blackout again.

4) During the brief seconds of life, I note that the default 1024x768 Depth 16 (and
virtual 1024x768) isn't displayed properly. It looks like the "screen" estate extends
ca 20 percent _outside_ of the physical screen on all four sides. Like it's zoomed in.
It's not virtual since mouse movements doesn't scroll it.

This is just a confused error report. I don't expect any advice. If you'd like dumps
of specific system information, just ask.

PS. Google search and Xpert search turns up nothing (too general keywords) DS.

Regards,
Mats Johannesson