On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> > Doesn't work here. If I do "cat /proc/mtrr" before running an X-server I
> > get nothing at all:
> > ""
>
> Ah, perhaps your CPU only has 1 MTRR.  You could check the kernel code
> if you're very curious.

The AMD K6-2 has two (I was curious some months ago and read the
documentation from AMD).

> > Running "cat /proc/mtrr" after starting the X server gives me the
> > following:
> >
> > reg00: base=0xd0000000 (3328MB), size=  32MB: write-combining, count=1
>
> That looks a whole lot like a framebuffer.  So what's the point of this
> thread, then, if it's working fine for you? :)  (I came in at the tail
> end here, sorry if I'm missing context.)

It probably is his framebuffer.  What troubles him, I think, is that lspci
tells him that the video card has two memory ranges and only one of them
is covered by an MTRR.

I have an AMD K6-2 500 MHz and a RIVA TNT2 M64 card.  I'm running Linux
2.2.21 and XFree86 4.2.0.

cat /proc/mtrr:
reg00: base=0xe6000000 (3680MB), size=  32MB: write-combining, count=1

lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Riva TNT2 Model 64
(rev 15) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: AOPEN Inc.: Unknown device 000d
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
        Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
        Expansion ROM at e5000000 [disabled]
        Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0

If anybody knows why my card also shows up twice in the memory map I'd be
much obliged.  Is the first (non-prefetchable) part memory-mapped control
registers for the accellerator functions and the second one the
framebuffer?

(I think I used to know this... :/ )

-Peter