> I tested it with all Xv ports which i assumed to correspond to the video
> devices i have (which seems to be a wrong assumption because of the
results i
> got).

You'll note that the software picks the first port that it finds which
matches both the XvInputMask and XvVideoMask (ie - it supports "putVideo" -
can be verified using XvInfo).  So, if you have multiple cards that support
this, you'll always get the first one unless you modify it.

> Anyway - if i start the program it displays some image but it is half
> offscreen and half set to the side, as a completly misconfigured overlay
and
> looks pretty close to the overlay (guessed upon the coloring as xv images
> have a slightly darker gamma than overly here).
> The video is display for some seconds and then it locks up for some
seconds
> and the process repeats. After launching the app the X server is no longer
> responsive and often can not be restarted cleanly at all.
>
> In short - it does not work.
> (BTW - i think you mixed up the order of some of the parameters of the
> XvPutVideo() call in that modified rootv.c).

I didn't actually write this....  It looks OK to me - from the man page:

       XvPutVideo(dpy,  port,  d, gc, vx, vy, vw, vh, dx, dy, dw,
       dh)

       Display *dpy;
       XvPortID port;
       Drawable d;
       GC gc;
       int vx, vy, dx, dy;
       unsigned int vw, vh;
       unsigned int dw, dh;

You could try making the last 8 numbers 0,0,640,480,0,0,640,480 ... It was
set for 240 because of some deinterlacing junk for the ATI card I was
working with at the time - this could cause you issues.

> Any more ideas? Eventually i can test it with a system with an Nvidia card
> see if it works anything different...
>
> > Not sure I completely understand you here, but any program can use the
> > XvPutVideo() call. There are various reasons why the author of xawtv
chose

> Just to go for sure - i guess the XvPutVideo call is not just an X-server
> integrated version of the overlay+clipping functionality like xawtv does?
> I mean - it really uses graphics hardware for colorspace+stretching?

As far as I understand, yes - this actually uses the graphics hardware to do
colorspace conversions and overlays... (the hardware gurus can correct me
here if I'm wrong).

Try changing those numbers and see how it works....

What is the exact hardware you're using again (framegrabber card and VGA
card)
Perhaps if you post the output of "xvinfo" I could have a look to see if I
can help solve your problem....

Mark