> > On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> >
> > > I need to get global key release events in my app, i.e. also if none of the
> > > windows of my app has focus.
> > > My app is based on Qt/KDE and I am able to get the key press events, but not
> > > the release events.
> > > I read some things about input masks, grabbing keys, window attributes and so
> > > on, but I don't  really understand what I have to do.
> > > Can somebody please shed some light on me about key grabbing, input masks,
> > >  and stuff ?

Turns out I /did/ overlook something!  Ah, the joys of early brain damage ;)

There are a couple X extensions intended for macro recording/playback and
regression testing purposes (mainly): XTrap, XTEST, RECORD.

XFree86 4.2.0 contains the docs for XTEST and RECORD but not for XTrap.

However, I couldn't find any demos or test code for XTEST and RECORD in it
but I did find xc/programs/xtrap/*, which contains many useful little
programs to use or to steal code from.  They do seem to be able to snoop
keyboard press/release events (among a ton of other things).

-Peter

"Never judge the strength of foundation by size of building."