> I've been thinking about this and it's not clear to me if or how we
> could determine which is the primary display. If we can't, it wouldn't
> be all too useful.
In current dual-head mapping scheme, DVI port is always treated as the
primary head (first screen, using CRTC) if a monitor (whether a CRT or a FP)
is connected there. This is inherited from the earlier M6 laptop support.
Under this scheme, you can try DDC_DVI type first. If something is detected
there, use it as the primary display, And then try DDC_VGA, DDC_CRT2, BIOS
settings in turn for the 2nd display. If DDC_DVI fails, try to look at the
BIOS settings (assuming bios can be accessed) to make sure there is nothing
connected (a lot of laptop panels do not support DDC). If indeed there is
nothing connected, then you can try DDC_VGA, DDC_CRT2 and BIOS settings in
turn to determine the primary display. This should work with all existing
cards AFAIK.

> Another possibility would be falling back to defaults for display and
> DDC type based on chip ID etc. That (and maybe options to override them)
> should do for laptops without a BIOS, for which I consider this most
> important.

Chip ID doesn't reflect actual connector types and DDC types used,
especially when more and more OEM cards are out there. Not sure if there
will be some OEM cards for which above scheme doesn't work and we have to
add an option.

Hui