I know that the old version of XFree86 used XF86Config and the new
version uses XF86Config-4. But why is there both in the X11 dir and
which should I be changing? Does XFree86 first load the XF86Config and
then the XF86Config-4? I couldn't find an explanation in the docs. Also
If I have X working with the older 3.3 or 4.0 can I use the XF86Config
file for it for the new XF86 and should it work if it worked with 3.3 or
4.0?

This Thinkpad 760XL with the trident 9385 chip at 800x600 is driving me
crazy. At first I thought the problem may be with RedHat as the Xconfig
during the install works. I can see the screen just fine but after
reboot it's hosed. But I've also tried Debian and it also has the same
problem. I really don't want to make this a windows only machine but as
of now that's the only thing that will run on it as far as a GUI is
concerned. I've tried many different XF86Config files and Hz and Vert
sync with no luck. I've even spent time with Alan on this problem. I
don't know what changed between 4.0 and 4.2 but what ever it was broke
the 760XL in anything other than standard SVGA mode. I have to rule out
the hardware as windows and RedHat 7.1 run fine on it.

Mike Manchester