Mark Vojkovich writes:
 > On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Egbert Eich wrote:
 >
 >    Can any two register writes get written out of order?

They can, however this may depend on their address order.
If the address order is ascending you may be lucky.
I never went into this really deeply.

> If so, then the fences in the "nv" driver are misplaced and
 > insufficient.  For each primitive, the last register in the
 > sequence is what initiates the drawing.  If the setup writes
 > were not commited before the kickoff write, things will be
 > wrong.

Yes, that's the way it is done on a lot of chipsets.
Do you see any problems on a specific architecture?
I know that Jay Estabrook has done a lot of otpimization
for the Alpha - he may tell you more about the rules
where fence instructions need to be placed. But again
this may be architecture dependend.

 >    Well, here's the deal.  Color expansion doesn't work reliably
 > on PowerPC with the "nv" driver and there doesn't seem to be any reason
 > for it other than architectural issues.

Have you tried adding some more fences? We may have to add
architecture specific fence macros :-((
I could try both Alpha and PPC as I can get access to both platforms
however I don't have time right now.

Regards,
        Egbert.