> From: "hy0" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:18:52 -0700
>
> > > Radeon driver is located in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/.
> >
> > Yes, I found it, but it appears that moving it to my system will not
> > be trivial due to the mesa-4 merge. The radeon mesa drivers would need
> > to be merged and that looks like it requires LOTS of other
> > stuff. Probably not worth pursuing at this time.
>
> You need to download the whole CVS tree to compile Radeon driver.

Does this mean that I need to pull in CVS from the head or is there an
appropriate tag that will let me avoid the mesa4 stuff but still
get the fix? (I'll admit I'd prefer NOT to run the code at HEAD of any
large project.)

> > OK. The problem is that the display loses horizontal sync when turned
> > off (manually or via APM) and then back on. Since Windows has no such
> > problem, I was hoping to tweak the vertical refresh a bit and see if
> > I could resolve that. To get sync back, I have to switch to a text
> > display, turn the display off, then turn it back on and return to the
> > X display. This works, but it's not very nice, especially when it's on
> > battery when I would like the display to turn off fairly quickly.
>
> This is a known bug and it happens on certain panels. The problem has
> nothing to do with vertical refresh. It appears to be related to the power
> delay required by some panels. Someone has managed to avoid this problem by
> modifying delay time in the APM code (not in Radeon driver). If you're
> willing to debug, I can send you more info off the list.

I'd be interested in that. I have not done any kernel debug work in about
15 years since I was writing system services and drivers for VMS. It
should be educational, at very least, but will be dependent on my
available time to work on it.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634