On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Ignacio Valdes wrote:

>  >>> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
>

>     You're reading the wrong config file.  The one you posted was an
> XFree86 version 3 config file.  By the looks of the server output,
> your config file isn't even setup for multihead.
>

>                       Mark.  <<<<
>

> Ack, I am using digest mode and I don't know how to reply to this
> without starting a new thread with the same subject line, help. My
> XF86Config file was generated automatically by RH 7.3 on a clean
> install, how can it be for version 3 of X? I thought 3 stopped being the
> default X several versions back. I do have a XF86Config-4 which I have
> done nothing too (that I am including) in my /etc/X11 as well as a
> XF86Config. Which one is the one that is actually used by the system?
> Why does it have two configs that seem to do the same thing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- IV

   XFree86 3 uses XF86Config.  XFree86 4 uses XF86Config-4 unless there
is no XF86Config-4, in which case it will use XF86Config instead.
The /var/log/XFree86.0.log tells you which config file you're using.
The excerpt above indicates that it is using /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
Your XF86Config file that you posted the other day was an XFree86 3
config file (no modules section, no layout section for multihead, etc...).

                        Mark.