On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Mirco [iso-8859-1] Müller wrote:

> > Would it be possible to implement(hack) resize by simply constricting the
> > view of the desktop after a resolution change?
>
>       The RandR extension, which is currently worked on, will implement a clean way
> for this, which will enable XFree86 to change resolution and bit-depth on the
> fly without the need to restart the X-server.
>
>       If you want more info about this to a search with google or look up
> www.xfree86.org. Furthermore I am sure on this mailing-list are people who do
> actively contribute to this extension getting implemented.
>
>       Apart from this you can already do dynamic resolution-changes (actually only
> the video-mode changes, the resolution of the desktop doesn't change) with
> the XF86VidMode extension. But this is only really practical for single
> applications, e.g. games, screensavers or other programs needing fullscreen
> contexts.

Of course I understand that RandR solves this problem, and that you can
change resolution. But RandR is requiring quite a bit of work to get
implemented. (AFAIK it may or may not be in 4.3)

But this doesn't answer the question. Such a hack would be quite simple
and make people who want windows like resolution changing happy.