On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Now the problem: The i810 blit engine seems to be broken in that
> it cannot copy a portion of the framebuffer right to the right of
> itself if the width of this area is in a certain range.

Even if the source & destination regions don't overlap?  That sounds
surprisingly broken.

The problem is very intermittent on my machine.  Once it happens, though,
the corruption sticks around for a while.  Filling up my display with
konqueror windows pointed to different websites is the most reliable way
I've found to trigger the bug, and likewise, closing windows and freeing
resources in general seems to make it go away.

Could this be explained by XAA generating blit requests for this buggy
width during the times I experience the corruption?

> I found that out by trial and error as Intel appearantly doesn't provide
> errata sheets. I've attempted to make a fix for this which I will soon
> commit to CVS. I don't know it it catches all cases however the KDE
> desktop on my test machine appears to be uncorrupted now. Your milage
> may vary.

What sort of workaround did you put in?  I'd be happy to give the patch a
shot if you'd like to send it this way.

I did find an errata pdf on Intel's website alongside the specs, and it
even lists a blitter bug, but I ignored it as it didn't sound relevant.
Still doesn't, apparently a few pixels at the end of each scanline get
skewed.  Certainly shouldn't corrupt a vertical gradient, in any case.

Thanks,
Bill