The goal is: A quick hack in order to do a simple task which I am asked
for almost every day:

The hardware I am developing for has two CRT controllers (actually it's
the sis driver for XFree86). One of these CRT controllers is able to
control LCD panels and TV encoders, but only one of these two at the
same time. The choice between LCD and TV (if both are detected at server
start-up) is currently done with an Option in XF86Config-4, but this
makes it impossible to change the setting during run-time (which is what
users really ask for). (The special key on laptops which should provide
this does not work under Linux - don't ask why; even if it did it is not
satisfactory as I have no control over what the BIOS does to my
registers. However, involving the BIOS is definitely not desired.)

So, I thought of another q&d solution: In the good, old
CTRL-ALT-KP_Plus/Minus-manner why not intercept eg. CTRL-ALT-KP_Multiply
and cycle through all possible output devices (LCD, TV and -
theoretically - secondary VGA, that is)?

Can this be done from within a video driver? I looked though the input
related code but could not find a solution.

Anybody?

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer