I use the 'nv' (xfree86 4.2.1) driver and after a screen blank, the
bottom half of the screen is on top and vice versa.  I use gdm also.  I
found that if I do:

kill -SIGUSR1 `pidof X`

after unblanking, X fixes itself and displays properly.  Is this what
SIGUSR1 is supposed to do (ie reinitialize X) and can I depend on this
in future versions of X.  I checked the manpage for Xserver, and though
it mentioned this signal, the explanation of what it did was vague.

I know about using 'chvt 1 && chvt 7', but I wanted to do this from
within an apm/acpi script, and this seemed to work well.

Jamie Strandboge

--
Email:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A