Hi,

I have intermittant crashes on my Notebook. The TFT-Screen "flickers", Mouse
moves but I have no reaction on Keyboard or Mouseclick any more. No
Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace, no Ctrl-Alt-Del - only hard power off "helps"

It happens without recreatable scenario, once a day, or never. It has nothing
to do with runtime, it runs several hours without crash or a crash can occur
two hours after the first power on and after a hard reboot it runs the rest
of the day flawless. It occured during usage of Konqueror, Menu-Edior, Xine,
MailClient - it can not be addressed to an application, so.

The only thing that points to any error is: /var/log/messages

Aug 11 10:53:25 phobos kernel: [drm:radeon_cp_indirect] *ERROR* ring space
check failed!
Aug 11 10:58:41 phobos last message repeated 8 times
Aug 11 11:11:14 phobos last message repeated 22 times
Aug 11 11:19:35 phobos last message repeated 12 times
Aug 11 11:20:46 phobos last message repeated 6 times
Aug 11 11:20:46 phobos last message repeated 5 times

But the time of crash was 12:30 approximately so the messages are an hour of
age. Although, they are the only thing I can see as errors related to that
effect of flickering screen and dead KDE.

Environment:
RH 7.3
Kernel 2.4.18-4 with PPDD von http://ppdd4rhl.sourceforge.net/
Radeon Mobility M6 LY (32MB DDR)
Pentium 4 Northwood Core, i845 Chipset
(same as Fujitsu Amilo-D:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/rl/products/notebooks/consumer/amilo/amiloD.html#)

Can you help me? Am I wrong with assumption that XFree or the Carddriver has
something to do with it? I have searched the Net but I found only hints to
Kernel 2.5 and I was stuck then when I had to read C-Code, I doubt that
brings me closer to a solution.

thanks, Walter.

--
(*) Dipl.-Ing. Walter Haberl
MCSE (NT), IBM Certified Solutions Expert