Dear Michel, José,

Michel Dänzer wrote:

>On Fre, 2002-09-06 at 02:10, José Fonseca wrote:
>

>>I'm not a Radeon developer but I'll gonna try to help you regarding DRI.
>>

>I missed this one somehow...

I'm not subscribed to either dri-users@ or xpert@, but read them by
means of the web archives. The xpert@ posts, however, usually don't seem
to get through.

>>I'm not sure what's the DGA support status of the existing DRI drivers.
>>Please check if there is a way to disable DGA support on VMWARE
>>and try it to see if that problem is really DGA related. If not on
>>VMWARE, it's possible to turn off DGA extension support on XF86Config-4
>>(I don't know it by heart by I can find that out for you).
>>

>Maybe DGA isn't broken but 2D acceleration with DRI enabled.

I have no idea why the screen corruption seems to :
- be mainly limited to the Windows mouse pointer vicinity ;
- be induced when a specific action is performed (e.g. dragging a
window, scrolling a window, ...) ;
- only occur when DRI is enabled.

>One way to work around the problem would be to run two servers, one with DRI
>enabled and another one without for VMware.

As a workaround, this works.  :)

>>>* glxgears performance is limited to approx. 500 fps ; this seems rather
>>>below par to me, wrt. to benchmarks of equivalent Radeon desktop models
>>>(700-1000 fps).
>>>

>glxgears isn't really a meaningful benchmark, 4.2.0 was slower than the current
>DRI drivers, and Mobility chips are slower than desktop chips.

I do not see any improvement between 4.2 and current DRI : 500 fps (AGP 1x).

Switching from AGP 1x to AGP 2x yields an performance improvement of
approx. 5%.
Switching to AGP 4x (which, according to hardware and Windows specs,
should be supported) locks the machine hard.

>>>/ Using Xree86 20020829 :
>>>
>>>* same screen corruption as with stock XFree 4.2 ;
>>>

>Can you try again with a 20020906 or later snapshot? I've cleaned up 2D
>acceleration with DRI enabled and fixed some bugs.

Tested with DRI 20020907 ; no improvement with DRI enabled.  Would you
like a screenshot of the corruption ?

>>>* with the DRI nightly binary driver packages, when running glxinfo,
>>>glxgears, ... I get a message about TCL being disabled, after which a
>>>segmentation fault occurs. All pointers to libGL.so seem correct ;
>>>

>Where did that libGL.so come from?

DRI CVS 20020830.

>>>* with a freshly compiled DRI CVS20020830, I can run glxinfo (please
>>>find it below, LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose), but glxgears opens a window with
>>>some (perhaps not so) random garbage, and locks the computer hard (no
>>>Alt-SysRq).
>>>

>That was a known problem with chips without a TCL unit. It's been fixed
>for VEs at least, we're still looking for feedback with an M6. Again,
>please try a current DRI snapshot and post your experience to the
>dri-devel list.

WFM with DRI 20020907, no more hard locks or segfaults ; see gdb &
standard output below.

Pity about the screen corruption, though.

glxgears -info
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 4.0.1 radeon (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/radeon_dri.so
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 4.0.1 radeon (screen 0)
drmOpenByBusid: busid is PCI:1:0:0
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports PCI:1:0:0
disabling TCL support
radeonUpdatePageFlipping allow 0 current 0
GL_RENDERER   = Mesa DRI Radeon 20020611 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE NO-TCL
GL_VERSION    = 1.2 Mesa 4.0.3
GL_VENDOR     = Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color
GL_EXT_blend_logic_op GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_convolution GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_EXT_histogram GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_polygon_offset
GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_texture3D
GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_vertex_array
GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_MESA_window_pos GL_NV_texgen_reflection
GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGI_color_table
2310 frames in 5.0 seconds = 462.000 FPS
2510 frames in 5.0 seconds = 502.000 FPS
2509 frames in 5.0 seconds = 501.800 FPS
[...]
2510 frames in 5.0 seconds = 502.000 FPS
radeonUpdatePageFlipping allow 0 current 0

With DRI 20020907, when rebooting the machine, I get an OOPS in the
shutdown sequence, I presume either in agpgart.o or radeon.o (sorry,
couldn't capture it).
The machine shutdowns cleanly, though.

Kind regards,
Didier