On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:

> Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
> >
> >>I've used the option NoHal in my config file, so the error
> >>message disappears, but now I only have 8bit colordepth!
> >
> > There must be something "wrong" in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
> > even without hal, the mga driver should have no problems with high
> > colour modes.
> > Could you send my your config file and /var/log/XFree86.0.log ?

Your "Screen" section doesn't have a "DefaultColorDepth nn" line,
and you don't appear to have used a "-depth xx" command-line option, so
the server tries the "Display" Subsections in order. The matrox cards
don't support 1 or 4 bit depths, so depth 8 is the first.

To get 24 bit, either use
        startx -- -depth 24
, add a line
        DefaultColorDepth 24
before your first "Display" Subsection, or change the order of your
"Display" Subsections.
If using xdm or similar you might want to change a line in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to read
        :0 local /usr/X11R6-v4/bin/X -depth 24

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna