On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 05:14:28PM -0400, David Dawes wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> Does it make a difference if you switch to a text VT before initiating
> a suspend?  That's how XFree86 handles APM suspend/resume.  With a
> correctly implemented VTEnter(), the driver should then reinitalise the
> hardware correctly when switching back to the X server after resuming.
> Some drivers don't to enough hw state initialisation in their VTEnter()
> function to handle returning from suspend.
>
> All of this assumes that the BIOS (and OS?) put the video hardware back
> into a sane text console state -- ideally the same state as after a
> normal system boot.  If that doesn't happen, then there are likely to
> be problems.

No difference.  It is already a common trick for swsusp people.
I don't see anything in the code that could explain why a perticular
xaa extension is no more functionnal for this card.
For me, VTEnter() from the nv driver seems to be correct.

[...]

> >Another way to solve the problem is to start another Xserver on another
> >display then kill it.  This probably does the reset that should come
> >though APM.
> >
> >Is there a way for a user space program to signal to the X server that
> >a suspend is about to happen or that a resume has happend to enable
> >this reset to be done more cleanly.
>
> Currently the X server only monitors the APM device for power management
> events.
>
> If swsusp can use some equivalent of apmd (or acpid), it should be
> possible to have that daemon force a VT switch on suspend, and switch
> back on resume (using chvt(1) as I suggested above).
>
> >I think adding ACPI support to XFree86 is the way to go rather than a
> >user space deamon.  Kernel 2.4.20 is going to have a (almost) fully
> >working ACPI implementation, the swsusp patch will still be needed for
> >S4(suspend to disk), S1 (suspend to RAM) will work on some machines.
>
> What's the current state of acpid?

Nothing is done from swsusp to send power management notifications to
user space before suspension.  The same apply for ACPI.

--
Ducrot Bruno
http://www.poupinou.org        Page profaissionelle