On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Luugi Marsan wrote:

> Where can I find a simple app that uses Overlay 8+24? I can't seem to
> find any. What do you use to test overlay?

xv -visual PseudoColor <filename> &
xv -visual TrueColor <filename> &

will give you two programs showing the same image, the first in
the 8bit overlay, and the second in the 24bit "underlay"

When I was writing the 8+24 overlay I used kview from Richard
Gooch's Karma:
        http://www.atnf.csiro.au/computing/software/karma/
as a test tool since I could display the image with a 24bit
DirectColor visual, and manipulate the palette with a tool
showing in another window, but I can't find that feature on the
current version.
Unfortunately although Richard had a card (not Matrox) which was
capable of supporting overlay visuals, it wasn't supported by
XFree86 v4. Even now I'm not sure that XFree86 supports overlay
on that card :-( which means that Richard couldn't use the feature;
maybe that is why I can't find it with the current version.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna