On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Jens Owen wrote:

> José Fonseca wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 04:52:59PM +1000, Simon Bland wrote:
> >
> >> I've seen ppl mention the libxaa.a from Fonseca seems to fix the problem
> >> with the screen blanking. Thing is I can't seem to find this libxaa..
> >> Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? And can anyone
> >> confirm that this does seem to fix the screen blanking problem with the
> >> Radeon 8500.
> >>

> > Initially I hosted on my website because there was no certain that it
> > would help. But now that I know it does I've moved it to
> > http://dri.sf.net/snapshots/extras/libxaa.a.bz2 and wrote a README.Sig11
> > on http://dri.sf.net/snapshots/ .
>
> Can anyone on Xpert comment on XAA binary incompatability?  Does this
> just affect Forward compatability, i.e. older X environments with newer
> binary drivers?

   I don't know why you'd be using a different XAA module in the first
place.  There haven't been any known bugs in XAA in a long time.

   I'm not sure we have any compatibility rules for anything other
than driver interfaces.  XAA interacts with more than the driver, it
interacts with other modules and the core server.  There may be some
explicit assumptions that you are not mixing core modules.  Precautions
have not been made to allow mixing of an XAA module with a server
of a different vintage.

   As for drivers, you can use a driver older than the server and
it will generally work.  You can use a driver newer than the server
only if the driver doesn't use any entry points or exports newer than
the server, and even if that part is safe you usually need to pass
the -ignoreABI flag.  But I don't think we have any goals of binary
compability between core modules.

                        Mark.