I have a quite complicated and obscure set up that is only working in
part. I have 3 graphics cards in my box: 1 Voodoo 3 2000 PCI, 1 ATI AGP
and 1 ATI PCI. The Voodoo is the primary card, and for some reason has
to be, as if it's not X can't "softboot" it (it seems).

If I run with all 3 screens using Xinerama all is okay. However, for
reasons I won't go into, I want to be able to use just the two ATIs and
so have a screen layout that defines this. If I use this layout with out
using xinerama it works, however with xinerama X seems to start, but
then dies with:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Does anyone have any clues why this is happening?

--
Ed.

Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?