I have a Dell Latitude C400 running RedHat Linux 8.0. As I am sure you
can imagine, X would "sorta" work but was essentially unusable. Not
willing to reinstall Windows, I poked around and noted that a lot of
changes had been made for the Intel i830 chipset support. I checked out
the latest tag that I found in the top level Imakefile and everything
went fine until I got to

xc/lib/XvMC/hw/i810

At this point I had to fix an include so that drm.h would be found. I'd
have to look again, but I believe this was fixed in the head of the
tree.

So far so good, it looks sweet. I am running 1024x768 with millions of
colors. One problem I ran into was when leaving X gdm would crash, and
if I started up X again the pointer would be locked. I never use gdm
anyway, so I found that disabling it entirely took care of the problem.

Thanks for getting better support completed for my chipset, I look
forward to the official release of 4.3. If there is anything in
particular you would like me to look at on this system, just let me
know.

Regards,

Peter