On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, sjb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio with a Radeon Mobility .. X runs fine at 1024 x 768
> on the LCD panel, but when I plug in an external monitor it runs at 800
> x 600 and a warning appears in the log ..
>
> (WW) RADEON(0): Mode 1024x768 is out of range.
> Valid mode should be between 640x480-800x600

> XFree86 Version 4.1.0 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
> Release Date: 2 June 2001
>        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
>        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
>        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)

The Radeon support for external monitors on laptops has improved
a lot since 4.1.0. You should at least upgrade to 4.2.1,
but if you can, use a recent CVS build, since this has been
worked on a lot since 4.2[.1].

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna