[ First off, it's better to post to a DRI list about the DRI ]
Yes, I'll post my questions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fortunately, I can't do that comparison here, but it's pretty fast,
even
with a window that covers the whole screen. Does the lack of perfect
smoothness bother you? Note that the window manager can make a huge
difference there, e.g. sawfish was much worse than metacity here.
Perfection has always been my demand. I use openbox; I've tried other wm's, including metacity, and I get the same results. still, I'd expect smooth window refresh from such a hefty peice of software as XF86..? I've seen quite a number of other people complain about this as well. In fact, a friend of mine who owns an older radeon says he's got great 3d accel but no 2d accel, and wishes for a window manager that uses pure glx. It would be possible, but who's got time to code it :-P

The 3D driver has absolutely no notion of a shared entity yet. What
should work would be implementing dualhead with a single framebuffer
on
top of the CloneDisplay support in current CVS.
but I'd have to do it myself
the lack of dri in dualhead and the fact that you have to restart X to change the dualhead setup seriously hampers things, as you can imagine.

cheers,
Kacper