From: Luugi Marsan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 23:38
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Xpert]256 megs board fails Validation,

I understand, but 256 megs = 256 * 1024 * 1024* 8 bits = 2^ 31 bits= 2147483648. The Xserver calculates the memory in bits when validating the mode.

Luugi

Alexander Stohr wrote:

sorry, but your number theory has some error.

2^1 = 2 (1 bit, counting from 0 to 1 => 2 values)
2^2 = 4 (2 bits, counting from 0 to 3 => 4 values)
2^4 = 8 (3 bits counting from 0 to 7 => 8 values)
[...]
2^31 = 2 GB
2^32 = 4 GB

an integer with 32 bits has 1 bit sign and 31 bits for numeric value.
this is (-2GB) to (+2GB-1).
so your 256 MB limit must arise from somewhere else.

for your case you should better starting the printf debugger
or real debugging. maybe PCI or AGP config caps, or MTRR caps
are the limiting factor, or its just a driver bug. (wild guessing)

-Alex.